Restraints PPT: Purpose, Types and Problems
Restraints are the devices that are used to protect any child or patient from injuries. Restraints restrict patient movement that helps him not get hurt himself or someone else who is taking care of him. They come into action as the last resort for the patient care. It is recommended to choose a comfortable or safe restraint to keep your patient safe and secure.
Now let us discuss about the purpose of restraint
Purpose of Restraints
- Physical examinations are carried out with the help of restraints.
- They provide safety to the child that protects him from serious injury.
- To keep a child in a specific and prescribed position.
- There are some tests and procedures and to keep a child in a comfortable position, restraints are used.
Different Types of restraints
There are three types of restraints that are listed below
Physical Restraint: They restrict person’s movement say a part of body like arms or legs. There are certain devices like belts, vests, and trays used to keep a patient in a bed or wheelchair.
Chemical Restraints: these are the medicines that are not used to cure any illness but to calm a patient. Chemical restraints are given in the forms of pill and injection. These are mostly used to quickly calm a violent patient.
Environmental restraints: To restrict a patient from going to a specific location say isolation. Healthcare providers monitor patients all the time.
These are the different types of restraints but there are few problems while using restraints that are given below.
Problems with Restraints
- A person is not able to function independently.
- Chemical restraint may sedate a patient very much as result it becomes very difficult for him to act.
- Restraints also increase restlessness and frustration.
- It decreases patient’s confidence and self-esteem.
- Sometimes they may cause injury like climbing a bed rail can result in fall.